I’ve Been Working from Seven to Eleven Every Night

It’s been a busy two weeks for me at work, which has taken away the time I normally devote to blogging. To catch you back up with us, we’re doing a double entry, so let’s get down to it. Long hours were the name of the game this week and it started right off the bat last Monday with me staying until late in the evening. Ann took Abby to jazz class and kept my date with Matt…in front of the TV to watch the national championship game…and wow – did we see a hell of a game! Auburn beat the Ducks on the last play of the game. It was the style of game that I love – a great defensive one; especially Matthews for Oregon…but Newton and the Tigers were too much. It was the 5th straight SEC champion – incredible. Other big news from that day included the NCAA men’s basketball rankings coming out and Purdue were firmly seated in the #8 position! Also, it was Jimmy Page’s birthday. On Tuesday, it snowed and snowed. The kids went to school on time but they were dismissed early – a first for quite a while here in Greensburg. Matt’s wrestling meet was cancelled. The roads were very sloppy on the ride home. I couldn’t stay as long as I wanted due to deteriorating road conditions which allowed me to get a bunch of cool stuff off Facebook – including pictures of my cousin Emily’s daughter, my good friend from high school – Steve Larson, some neat ones from my good friend from work – Allen Smith (best known from his stint on The Biggest Loser) (check out the pix of him with his wife Frankie, at the Pro Bowl with NFL Hall of Famer Rod Woodson from Purdue, backstage in the green room with Jay Leno hours before going on national TV with Charles Barkley and his daughter Taylor with Allison Sweeney (star of Days of Our Lives and here as the host of Biggest Loser) and my other friend from work – Mark Porter with another reality TV star, Jesse James. The other big news of the day was the date – 1/11/11. Rob posted a bunch of cool pictures of a snowman that he and Sharon built when then were snowed in for four days on the mountain!

lasocd11.1 evd.2010 asbl10.aaf asbl10.awjl asbl10.awrwapb asbl10.twas mpwjj.2009 slaw slwf rass11.1 rass11.2 rass11.3 rass11.4 rass11.5

On Wednesday it was another late night for me. The kids didn’t have school as they called it off due to all the snow – about 5 inches altogether when it was all said and done. It snowed all day again – second straight day that occurred. The roads were still very sloppy due to the lower temps as well. Allen posted on my Facebook wall that he was looking in to getting back on to TV via the newest version of ‘Dancing with the Stars’ – which will be with reality TV stars. You too can vote for him by making a post directly on the Dancing with the Stars website. You can find a direct link on Allen’s Facebook page. On Thursday, the kids finally went back to school with a two hour delay and Matt had his makeup wrestling meet in Batesville. Ann & I rode together (the only day we were able to do this during this two week span) and left early to get home, do all our running and get to Batesville. We got over there and just as we were walking in to the school, Matt texted us to say that he had no match…at least we got to bring him his dinner! We ended up paying to get in, watching the 4 or 5 JV matches and then left while the Bulldogs were introducing their seniors. Abby went to tap practice with Gma. Purdue played Minnesota that night and ended up losing by 3 points. On Friday, Ann went scrapbooking and I had to stay a little later than I wanted so Gma ended up watching the kids late (thanks Mom!), so we grabbed drive through and came home and popped in a movie. Unfortunately, I fell asleep on the couch moments after we turned off the lights to watch the movie and slept on the couch until after midnight when Ann came home. Matt & I were up early on Saturday for his final chance at a match this year. That day, the team travelled north to Lewisville for the Tri Central Invitational. I looked really cool as I sat by myself in the top row of the bleachers by myself with my work laptop and my 5” policy & procedure binder, as I had to read and update all of my P&P’s as homework that weekend. With that, Matt ended his freshman season with an 8-8 record, wrestling up for most of his matches at the 215 weight class as a 189-pounder…and to top if off, he was named the JV wrestler of the week by his peers for the 2nd time this season!! Ann took Abby to basketball practice at the high school, where it was also tryout day. She was disappointed to not be on the same team as her close friends. Afterwards Ann took the two little ones scrapbooking where Lukey proudly made his first scrapbooking page…although he originally had made it with glitter and some other bright materials but made the comment to Ann to change it when he discovered, “Abby apparently doesn’t like bling,” which caused him to start over. I got to check out a couple football games that were actually really good games, with Pittsburg and Green Bay coming out on top. Then on Sunday, the Boilers lost their second game of the week, as they came up short against West Virginia by 4 points. We watched a couple more good games as the Jets beat the Pats and they Bears smashed the Seahawks. I did my P&P’s all day again and FINALLY got them all finished. It had been nearly 18 months in the making and I finally accomplished it in one weekend. It was a huge lift off my shoulders…the only burden left now was the Joint Commission survey, about which at this point I was very nervous.

mwtil11.1 mwtil11.2 mwtil11.3 mwtil11.4 mwtil11.5 mwtil11.6 mwtil11.7 lsb11.1 lsbfp11.1

The next Monday was MLK Day, which the kids were supposed to have off. However, with all the snow days they’ve incurred, it was no longer a holiday spent at home. I ended up working really late that night, as we continued to prepare for JCAHO. At that afternoon’s management meeting, I was surprised to learn that I had been officially promoted to senior management as I was appointed the Director of Plant Operations! Abby had both dance and basketball practices. It has been really hard to work out the jazz schedules as both Abby & Baili are involved in sports. Ann attended a basketball meeting at the school and ended up volunteering to be on the board! I wish her luck with that decision. Tuesday was yet another long day and night for me at work, as Ann was pretty much getting used to being a single parent at this point. I have to thank her for allowing me to be away from the family for these two weeks – it allowed me to really spend a lot of time fine-tuning the books and myself before my first JC survey the next day. It began snowing that day and by the time I came back in to work the next day, there was already a couple inches on the ground. The Boilermakers beat Penn St. for their first victory in three tries and they barely beat the Nittany Lions by 1 point. On Wednesday morning, I went in really early so I cleaned the snow here and then again at work. I beat the snow plows that morning – the roads were really crappy. The kids were off of school and Ann decided to stay with them. We were originally supposed to have our big EOC / Life Safety tour on Friday, then we received schedules that said it would be on Day 2 and then once we met with the inspector, he decided to do it first! Man was I nervous; but we did fine. I was so excited when our EOC received 100%!! Luke was sick during the overnight, as he was on the pot with diarrhea for nearly 45 minutes during the wee hours of the morning. On Thursday, I was in early again and the kids were on a 2 hour delay. Gracie joined them as Ann stayed home with Lukey, who had a fever on and off and slept for several hours. He was ATF all day and had to run to the restroom anytime he had gas…he made it nearly every time. Luke brought home a couple of pictures for us that night and Matt made the paper for wrestling. Also, Ann snapped off a cool picture on the gym wall at the high school that included Matthew.

lafg11.1 lafg11.2 mcwt11.1 mcwt11.2 mwpigh11.1

Our 2nd day of Joint Commission was equally good for my folks. We had a couple of issues, but they were minor enough to not make the final report. I attended the PI portion of the survey as well as the kitchen inspection. Again, we did great! I also have to publicly give a HUGE thanks to my great friend Dennis Richardson. Without his direct help, indirect oversight and teachings / advise, we would have been in a LOT worse situation. I know that much of the praise will be given to me for the success my department had, but truly the this one was a team effort that started with Dennis and Kelly and ran through Gary & JT and ended with the housekeeping and dietary departments. It is with this support, I was able to succeed on Friday when we had our final day of survey and included my interview / Life Safety/Emergency Mgmt review. I was SO nervous heading up to the conference room, as I knew this was my time to talk like I actually knew what I was supposed to be doing, regulatory-wise (LOL)! Dennis had been drilling me over the past year – each time we talked on the phone, met in the garage or went out to lunch – reinforcing all the regulatory information – especially intensifying over the past week. …well it all paid off; I went in there and in what seemed like five minutes, was actually an hour and fifteen minutes (much longer than it was supposed to be), I was being told, “I’ve seen enough” and what was the most meaningful comment the entire survey, “Columbus doesn’t have to worry about their life safety program.” He was figuratively tapping out!! It was so cool as Dennis and I were high-fiving out back afterwards. I was given several compliments but I have to reiterate that I had received tremendous training from the master – Dennis. In fact, during the kitchen tour, the inspector was going to write up one item even though Dennis told him that the code was not how he was interpreting it…and came back the next day very graciously stating that Dennis had been correct. With the Life Safety / EM portion a success, it meant that my portion of the survey had received zero hits – scoring a perfect 100%!!!! We were so stoked!! We went out for lunch to celebrate and were called back early for the exit interview – which was a good sign that he was getting out early. It turned out that we had a very short list of corrections as a facility to make – all on the clinical side and nothing that was directly related to patient care – it was more paperwork and systems issues, which have all been corrected already. All the management team left early Friday afternoon. Ann & I met Dennis and Lenny and Gary and his wife Jana up in Shelbyville early that evening at the Indiana Live! Casino. We made the mistake of hitting their ATM instead of stopping along the way; OMG, I kid you not, it took 20 minutes to get our cash…the only saving grace was they were playing the House of the Holy album by Led Zeppelin and we were able to rock out to The Song Remains the Same! Our first stop was the bar where we knocked back a few drinks – including my first Cabo Wabo shots – and outvoted Ann in to going to the buffet for dinner. Dennis was gracious as he bought our dinner to celebrate our perfect survey. It was an awesome buffet – I stayed with the seafood and Chinese sections. I ate way too much and was miserable the rest of the night. After dinner, I got a couple of really nice cigars (Romeo Y Julietta) from their humidor for Dennis & I that lasted at least an hour – they were huge! Although Ann & I and Dennis & Lenny simply donated our money, Gary & Jana were at least able to come out ahead. It was a pretty cool place. I would have loved to have had a few more drinks but I was so tired that I was a good boy and we actually headed home fairly early. I didn’t realize you weren’t supposed to take pictures in a casino and was chastised by the staff. Oops. Abby spent the night with Gracie. Matt skipped the Winter Formal (Ann was disappointed) as the boys stayed with Gma for much of the night. It was very cold when we got home. The temp was officially zero, but the wind chill was much lower, it cut right through you…

il11.1 il11.2 il11.3 il11.4 il11.5 il11.6 il11.7 il11.8 il11.9

On Saturday morning, we were up early to get Matt to the high school for the Conference Tourney at East Central. Although most of the day’s talk centered around the additional 4” of snow setting on the ground, it was the frigid temps that got my attention. We woke up to -4 temps that morning. I took Lukey to basketball practice and walked for the hour – the first good exercise I had received in well over a week, besides the snow shoveling at work. When we got home, we took down the Christmas tree and seasonal decorations finally. We actually outlasted Gma and Gigi this year. However, I made Ann pledge that we would take it down during winter break next year! I went and picked up Bu from Grandma & Gigi’s house and brought Gracie with us. I took the girls and Luke out to the sledding hill in the park. The snow was absolutely perfect – it came down big, fast and wet then froze when the temps fell. That gave us a solid base and a slick top – perfect! The kids had a blast as all four hills were good. Track 1 (the bunny hill) was smooth, track 2 had a little jump built in to the bottom that the kids were aiming for, track 3 was a direct path to the creek and even track 4 had enough snow to give a complete run all the way through the drop-off. The kids only fought a couple times; you’d think that with 3 kids and 3 sleds it’d all be good, but everyone still loves to ride in our old red sled. We did have a couple issues with trees – Abby misjudged the dangerous run on track 4 and nailed one of the trees at the drop-off. She complained of some arm pain, but otherwise was fine. Then at the very end, the kids decided to attach the sleds together and try track 2 – only they aimed incorrectly at the start and then Gracie did some kind of stunt man move and changed sleds while they were going down the hill (probably Abby’s idea) and they all ended up hitting the straw bail around the trees at the bottom of the hill. Abby was smart enough to roll off at the last minute, but Gracie bumped her head on the straw and Luke hit his leg pretty good. He laid at the bottom of the hill for a couple minutes. I thought he was laughing and then Bu said he was crying. When I got down there, he said Abby had poked him in the eye with a stick (which wasn’t true). At that point we were all cold (despite there being a fire at the top of the hill), Luke was crying and I was exhausted. So we decided that enough was enough and we headed home where Bu made us hot chocolate. I ran Gracie back to Gma’s a little later and picked up Matt from the high school. We had a nice, quiet evening and caught up on our DVR, including new shows of Bones, Blue Bloods, American Idol, Southland, Fringe, Tosh.0 and Clone Wars. I eventually came back to bed to watch the now #14 Boilers beat up on the Michigan St. Spartans, who were ranked #17. They won by 10 points. On Sunday, we slept in a little for once. It was a lazy day that saw us heat up the gas grill for the first time this young year. We did our weekly chores and got the house picked up pretty well. The NFL Championship games were taking place. In the opener, the Bears & Packers had a close one that Green Bay pulled out in the end and really dominated although the final score didn’t reflect it. Chicago had a good effort, but it’s tough to win a Championship game with your 3rd string QB, which is exactly what the Bears had happen as Caleb Hanie saw his first real action in his third year of being pro. The Bears actually had a chance right up until the final minute of the game… The domination was true in the 2nd game as well, despite the score. The Steelers were total control against the Jets all evening. The cold was a factor all day as the games were played in Chicago and Pittsburg. It was an exciting two weeks of work for me, but I’m thankful it is over and we won’t have to do this again until 2014…no back to some sense of normalcy again…well as much as we can ever have around here, that is!

swg10.1 swg10.2 swg10.3 swg10.4 swg10.5 swg10.6 swg10.7 swg10.8 swg10.9 swg10.10 swg10.11 swg10.12 swg10.13 swg10.14 swg10.15 swg10.16 swg10.17 swg10.18 swg10.19 swg10.20 swg10.21 swg10.22 swg10.23 swg10.24 swg10.25 swg10.26 swg10.27 swg10.28 swg10.29 swg10.30 swg10.31 swg10.32 swg10.33 swg10.34 swg10.35 swg10.36 swg10.37 swg10.38 swg10.39 swg10.40 swg10.41 swg10.42 swg10.43 swg10.44 swg10.45 swg10.46 swg10.47 swg10.48 swg10.49 swg10.50 swg10.51 swg10.52 swg10.53 swg10.54 swg10.55 swg10.56 swg10.57 swg10.58 swg10.59 swg10.60 swg10.61

Here’s one video from the past two weeks and lots of other favorites from YouTube this week:

Now for this week’s Waybac feature: Leading off we have a couple of old pictures from the 80’s with two of my friends from my work, first is Mark Porter from a band promo photo shoot when he went by the moniker “Bunz” and then Tony James at a concert. Then we have a few of Ann and her Tri Delt sorority sisters at FC functions with lots of KDR’s in 1988 then 1989, including our friend Chris Verdi from Lafayette after a long day of drinking at Epcot in Disney World in 1990 and then later back at her house in G’burg to do their laundry…sounds familiar, eh Mom? Next up are a slew of pictures from November of 1991 (or ’90, I’m not sure on that one) at the annual birthday party for us kids with Grandpaw Brown, Sharon & Dan, Nathan & Rob, Vird, Belinda and a young Deena Marie; then more pix previously posted on Facebook this week – a private party in ’91, a Tri Delt function with the KDR’s in ’91, Ann with her good friend Stacy in ’91; these are followed by a family portrait of an old family friend and former neighbor back in Lafayette – Mike Linville and all his girls in May of ’92 at his home in Tulsa, OK; a shirtless Robby on the pontoon in ’92 and a couple sad pictures of the big old house in LaPorte…with a for sale sign in the front yard. What did it last on the market…a week?? …or was that the next house in Rossville?

Waybac.1980s.mpirrp Waybac.1980s.tjarrc Waybac.1988.tdbdp1 Waybac.1989.tdf1 Waybac.1990.sb1 Waybac.1991.11.bfcik1 Waybac.1991.11.bfcik2 Waybac.1991.11.bfcik3 Waybac.1991.11.bfcik4 Waybac.1991.11.bfcik5 Waybac.1991.11.bfcik6 Waybac.1991.11.bfcik7 Waybac.1991.11.bfcik8 Waybac.1991.apwg Waybac.1991.atdp1 Waybac.1991.atdp2 Waybac.1991.atdp3 Waybac.1991.awsic Waybac.1991.sb2 Waybac.1992.05.24.mlafito Waybac.1992.rob Waybac.1992.rshfs1 Waybac.1992.rshfs2

Here we have a few pictures in ’94 of Mom & Dad on Pine Lake in LP with George & Sue, among others…and I see Geroge has a 50th birthday party; Rob during graduation ceremonies in December in ’97; Rob back out in ’98 in Rossville; Bryan family get together in late November of ’98 – Vird & family, a great picture of Katie & Sharon, and others of us in Mom & Dad’s backyard; and Rob and his buddy from Three Springs at their program graduation party:

Waybac.1994.pl1 Waybac.1994.pl2 Waybac.1994.pl3 Waybac.1994.pl4 Waybac.1994.pl5 Waybac.1997.12.18.rgdp1 Waybac.1998.11.rbh1 Waybac.1998.11.rbh2 Waybac.1998.11.rbh3 Waybac.1998.11.rbh4 Waybac.1998.11.rbh5 Waybac.1998.11.rbh6 Waybac.1998.11.rbh7 Waybac.1998.11.rbh8 Waybac.1998.11.rbh9 Waybac.1998.11.rbh10 Waybac.1998.11.rbh11 Waybac.1998.11.rbh12

All the rest are from 2002, except the final picture which is from 2004: Abby “driving” Grandpa’s tractor in early April, Matt playing soccer in late April, Matt & Abby at Disney World in May, Matt & I on a baseball float during the 4th of July parade, Abby at that same parade, Abby, Matt & I playing out in the street (the one with them racing side-by-side is now my desktop picture!); Matt at soccer camp in July, Matt ready for the first day of school, Nathan’s wedding in September, Abby’s 3rd birthday party, Matt’s fall soccer in October, the kids playing in the front room in December and then finally Alex & Lukey in 2004 playing over at Alex’s house in a spinning toy we donated the year before.

Waybac.2002.04.apot1 Waybac.2002.04.apot2 Waybac.2002.04.ss1 Waybac.2002.04.ss2 Waybac.2002.05.dv1 Waybac.2002.05.dv2 Waybac.2002.05.dv3 Waybac.2002.05.dv4 Waybac.2002.07.gfp1 Waybac.2002.07.gfp2 Waybac.2002.07.gfp3 Waybac.2002.07.pis1 Waybac.2002.07.pis2 Waybac.2002.07.pis3 Waybac.2002.07.pis4 Waybac.2002.07.sc1 Waybac.2002.08.mfdos Waybac.2002.09.14.nw1 Waybac.2002.09.14.nw2 Waybac.2002.09.14.nw3 Waybac.2002.09.14.nw4 Waybac.2002.09.21.abp1 Waybac.2002.09.21.abp2 Waybac.2002.09.21.abp3 Waybac.2002.09.21.abp4 Waybac.2002.10.fs1 Waybac.2002.10.fs2 Waybac.2002.12.lrp1 Waybac.2002.12.lrp2 Waybac.2002.12.lrp3 Waybac.2002.12.lrp4 Waybac.2002.12.lrp5 Waybac.2002.12.lrp6 Waybac.2002.12.lrp7 Waybac.2004.aalot

Well that does it for this special double edition of the Scheu Family Blog; thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

3 comments to I’ve Been Working from Seven to Eleven Every Night

  • Mom

    Congrats Thomas Matthew on being named the Director of Plant Operations!!! You deserve every accolade you get as I know you work very hard at work as well as being a husband and father. Hope all success is yours for years to come. Karen says lots of thanks for passing that message on regarding VP Curtis. They are working on it as we speak.

  • Mom

    Sorry about that….I didn’t get to finish. Loved the pictures and your video made me cold!! Looked like the kids were having a great time. They have alot of energy!! Guess we did at that age too. I will try to get on and vote for Allen. I would love to see him on that show!!! He is sooo special isn’t he??? We all have special friends in our lives that one way or another affect us along our path in life. Again congrats Tom for a well deserved “title”. When do you get your Directors chair??? XXXOOO’s please also give my love to all

  • Aunt Sharon

    AWESOME BLOG!! Thanks for sharing very nice. And congrad. on your new title. You deserve it, as your mom said you work very hard and long hours. Loved the pictures. Wow, GREAT memories as always. Love it.

    Take care, Love all,

    Aunt Sharon

Leave a Reply