Only the Beginnings of what I want to Feel Forever

It was another interesting week, as usual here at the Scheu abode. The kids had a great week this time out. It was a time for a fresh start to everything. School started back up, Matt had his first varsity action in football and Luke and Abby’s soccer season also got underway. The temperatures were a little kinder. We finally broke our string of 90+ degree consecutive days. I think we ended at 25 – which set the all-time record for this weather anomaly. On Monday, Luke went back to Brandy’s house as Abby stayed home with Matt for the majority of the day. Mom O came over and picked them up in the late afternoon to take Matt to football practice. That evening, Luke had soccer and then open house where we got to meet his teacher this year. She is very sweet and very well-organized. We came home and cooked burgers on the grill. Nathan was working late on the house so we had him come in for dinner as well. On Tuesday, we said goodbye to Brandy for a while as the summer vacation ended for the kiddos today. There were mixed feelings all day, coming to a head when Abby called me a dozen times as she fought with Matt all day. Abby had soccer practice and then did more back-to-school shopping with Ann for a few hours. I ended up fixing Matt’s bike from when he had his blowout last weekend at Luke’s game. I ended up replacing the inner tube since it had at least 6 holes that I could find. I also adjusted both of his brakes as well as his chain. It works like new again and he asked why I hadn’t done this for him sooner. I told him he didn’t ask… That night, we had a huge cold front move in that brought not only cooler temps, but lower humidity and severe thunderstorms as well. It was wicked-looking as we watched it come in… Abby had some new pictures on her Facebook page that I wanted to share with you as well.

mfsic11.13 stw11.1 stw11.2 stw11.3 stw11.4 stw11.5 stw11.6 afbp11.08a afbp11.08b afbp11.08c afbp11.08d afbp11.08e

We were up early for the first day of school on Wednesday morning. Grace joined us and I think she will continue to be with us on school mornings until further notice. We had to get an annual picture of the kids in their special clothes. The kids even had to get the same style of shoes this year, called Zigtechs. We had a night off, as most Wednesdays should be. Luke & I played outside for an hour or so, walking, playing basketball, riding bikes and running the go-kart out of power (we had to push it home from the end of the block). Ann made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. Nathan worked late on our house again and joined us for dinner again. The kids have really taken a shine to him and won’t leave him alone. They want to help him and pepper him with questions non-stop. Ann and I have to almost physically pull them off at times! On Thursday night, as I tried to leave work, the van refused to start. It turned over, but would not fire. Ann was in a meeting and had plans to go out with her friends, Abby had soccer practice (and all the gear was with me in Columbus) and I was supposed to attend a parent’s meeting for Matt’s football program. Thankfully, Mom O took Abby home to change and dropped her off at practice. Ann changed her plans and cut her meeting short to come get me. JT towed the van to his house and repaired it for us over the weekend. It turned out to be two crank sensors. He warned that the fuel pump would likely be next – but couldn’t say if it would be two days or two years.

fdos11.1 fdos11.2 fdos11.3 fdos11.4

It was MUCH cooler on Friday morning, starting off in the upper 50s. I had the day off due to our facility having such a low census. I drove the old truck all day and it did fairly well – except for the loud vacuum leak and the need to be jump-started (I swear by my Schumaker portable jump starter) after each time I turn the key off. It wasn’t much of a day off though, as I ran the kids and hit Wal-Mart to start the day. I came back and loaded up the mower and headed over to Mom & Sandy’s to do some lawn care. Again, I could not start the weed eater and will take it to JT for repairs. I came home and mowed our front lawn for the first time since vacation, I believe. I also cleaned up the back lot area that was loaded with fence posts and pieces of chain link fence. I bought a hack saw and cut down the pieces to fit in the truck. I took it to the recycling center and got to meet some new people – it was a different experience. I made enough money off the fence to pay for the hacksaw and a gallon of gas. LOL! Oh well, the yard looks much better anyhow and I have a new saw that should last forever. Ann went scrapbooking after she got off work. I ran Luke to soccer practice and met Ann back at home. We all went out to the high school to watch Matt’s football scrimmage with Indian Creek. It was Matt’s first varsity experience! He is currently second in the depth charts at center and defensive tackle! He to 9 snaps on defense with the varsity and recorded his first tackle!! He also took 4 snaps at center on the offensive side of the ball. He also played with the junior varsity as well. On JV, he played all but a couple of snaps at center but, strangely, he didn’t see any time defensively – which didn’t make much sense to me. The boys looked pretty good, despite having over a dozen injuries to their team, including their starting QB. The Pirates outscored the Braves by 1, even though they weren’t keeping score. We took Ann back to scrapbooking where she and the gals got Pizza King and I took the kids out to El Chile Poblano for dinner, per Matt’s request. He was pretty sore afterwards, but obviously excited about his play. He was also drained and fell asleep promptly upon return home.

mfsic11.1 mfsic11.2 mfsic11.3 mfsic11.4 mfsic11.5 mfsic11.6 mfsic11.7 mfsic11.8 mfsic11.9 mfsic11.10 mfsic11.11 mfsic11.12 mfsic11.13 mfsic11.14 mfsic11.15 mfsic11.16 mfsic11.17 mfsic11.18 mfsic11.19 mfsic11.20 mfsic11.21 mfsic11.22 mfsic11.23 mfsic11.24 mfsic11.25 mfsic11.26 mfsic11.27 mfsic11.28 mfsic11.28a mfsic11.29 mfsic11.30 mfsic11.31 mfsic11.32 mfsic11.33 mfsic11.34 mfsic11.35 mfsic11.36 mfsic11.37 mfsic11.38 mfsic11.39 mfsic11.40 mfsic11.41 mfsic11.42 mfsic11.43 mfsic11.44 mfsic11.45 mfsic11.46 mfsic11.47 mfsic11.48 mfsic11.49 mfsic11.50 mfsic11.51 mfsic11.52

We were right back up early for more fun and games on Saturday. Matt had football practice where he was treated with a workout in the HS pool as well as donuts and juice. He found a ride home with a teammate so that Ann and I could be out at the soccer fields. Luke and his team, the Tsunamis, had a very successful debut despite the head coach attending classes at Franklin College (our old alma mater). The boys slaughtered the Tornadoes by a score of 6-0!! Luke took his first Penalty Kick but was denied. He had three other shots on goal but none found the net. He did have one assist and passed the ball very well the whole game. Just like the last two years, Luke dominated play while on the field. I think the video shows that as well. He really is a special athlete, having an uncanny nose for the ball. He played goalie for one quarter and had 3 saves, defense for a quarter and offense/midfielder for 2 quarters – but that was merely a starting position for Luke…he was all over the field the entire game. He would take a shot and then be all the way back on the other end, defending the goal. He really had a great start and will have difficulty keeping his play at this level all year.

lsdt11.1 lsdt11.2 lsdt11.3 lsdt11.4 lsdt11.5 lsdt11.6 lsdt11.7 lsdt11.8 lsdt11.9 lsdt11.10 lsdt11.11 lsdt11.12 lsdt11.13 lsdt11.14 lsdt11.15 lsdt11.16 lsdt11.17 lsdt11.18 lsdt11.19 lsdt11.20 lsdt11.21 lsdt11.22 lsdt11.23 lsdt11.24 lsdt11.24a lsdt11.25 lsdt11.26 lsdt11.27 lsdt11.28 lsdt11.29 lsdt11.30 lsdt11.31 lsdt11.32 lsdt11.33 lsdt11.34 lsdt11.35 lsdt11.36 lsdt11.37 lsdt11.38 lsdt11.39 lsdt11.40 lsdt11.41 lsdt11.42 lsdt11.43 lsdt11.44 lsdt11.45 lsdt11.46 lsdt11.47 lsdt11.48 lsdt11.49 lsdt11.50 lsdt11.51 lsdt11.52 lsdt11.53 lsdt11.54 lsdt11.55 lsdt11.56 lsdt11.57 lsdt11.58 lsdt11.59 lsdt11.60 lsdt11.61 lsdt11.62 lsdt11.63 lsdt11.64 lsdt11.65 lsdt11.66 lsdt11.67 lsdt11.68 lsdt11.69 lsdt11.70 lsdt11.71 lsdt11.72 lsdt11.73 lsdt11.74 lsdt11.75 lsdt11.76 lsdt11.77 lsdt11.78

Ann and I positioned ourselves in the middle of the U10 and U12 fields as Abby’s game was played simultaneously so we were constantly turning back and forth to watch the action on both fields. Abby’s and her team, the Thunder, also opened up their season at home. They played the Batesville Tigers and got crushed 0-8. They really struggled on both ends of the field. Abby had really stepped up as a team leader this year and her coach and team have really needed it. She played better than we’d ever seen her play before. She controlled the ball well, took shots, stole the ball, moved the ball with excellent dribbling and passed when needed. It was very impressive and again, I hope the video conveys that when you watch it. She had two shots but no points and should’ve had two assists as well from shots missed by others. Her team has a long way to go, but she really stepped up this first game and we hope she can match it or get better each week. Afterwards, I finished up in the back yard and it actually is starting to look decent again – save for the need of a weed eater desperately! Ann went in to do some work for a few hours in Columbus and I took the kids to our favorite sweet shop in celebration of Matt’s first varsity tackle. 😛 We had Papa John’s for dinner and chilled out. As we watch the Colts take a pre-season lashing, news came across via social media at first about a very tragic accident in Indianapolis. There was a Sugarland concert planned at the grandstands of the Indiana State Fair that night. But shortly before 9 pm, before the band took the stage, what is being described as a gust front came through the fairgrounds and toppled an enormous rigging, collapsing right on top of the crowd. At the time of this writing, there were five confirmed deaths and 43 confirmed in the local hospitals. As it turns out, we had friends and family there. My cousin, Katie and Ann’s close friend Stacy’s girl – Darby (who we just spent time with on vacation) were both very near the action but thankfully came home to us unscathed. It was very scary and I found myself drawn in, much like the twin towers did to me a decade ago. I couldn’t stop watching the coverage, staying up till 2 am, when the local news coverage finally stopped broadcasting. If there is a silver lining in all of it, I heard several stories of heroism by ordinary folks stepping in to help the injured. …Very sad happenings – our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. The weather in this area has become so violent recently… We slept in Sunday morning. We did our weekly chores about the house and finally got a little bit of rain. Not much, mind you, but enough. It was also cooler today, staying in the 70s most of the day. I have heard rumors, however, that it is about to get hot again this coming week. Our friends Paul and Allen (who both have functional pools), both invited us over to cool off…not we just need to find the time!!

asbo11.1 asbo11.2 asbo11.3 asbo11.4 asbo11.5 asbo11.6 asbo11.7 asbo11.8 asbo11.9 asbo11.10 asbo11.11 asbo11.12 asbo11.13 asbo11.14 asbo11.15 asbo11.16 asbo11.17 asbo11.18 asbo11.19 asbo11.20 asbo11.21 asbo11.22 asbo11.23 asbo11.24 asbo11.25 asbo11.26 asbo11.27 asbo11.28 asbo11.29 asbo11.30 asbo11.31 asbo11.32 asbo11.33 asbo11.34 asbo11.35 asbo11.36 asbo11.37 asbo11.38 asbo11.39 asbo11.40 asbo11.41 asbo11.42 asbo11.43 asbo11.44 asbo11.45 asbo11.46 asbo11.47 asbo11.48 asbo11.49 asbo11.50 asbo11.51 asbo11.52 asbo11.53 asbo11.54 asbo11.55 asbo11.56 asbo11.57 asbo11.58 asbo11.59 asbo11.60 asbo11.61 asbo11.62 asbo11.63 asbo11.64 asbo11.65 asbo11.66 isfsc11.1 isfsc11.2 isfsc11.3 isfsc11.4 isfsc11.5 isfsc11.6 isfsc11.7 isfsc11.8

Here are this week’s videos, including two of the family and several from around the web for your viewing pleasure (Mom, any better luck with the videos this week?):

This week’s Waybac feature starts with a couple totally tubular senior pictures from 1987 – first my good friend Mike from LaPorte in the spring and then Ann in the fall in Greensburg (Do they have the same hair style?); then Aunt Dorothy & Uncle Timmie’s visit to LaPorte and the ensuing visit to the Studebaker Museum with Mom, Dad & Rob back in 1989.

Waybac.1986.08.mlpsp1 Waybac.1987.08.agsp1 Waybac.1989.datvsm1 Waybac.1989.datvsm2 Waybac.1989.datvsm3 Waybac.1989.datvsm4 Waybac.1989.datvsm5

Next up we have a picture of my college graduation ceremony at Franklin College (I think I gave a fist pump and a “Yes!” right after this still was taken) in June of ’91; then we have this little treasure. I came across this one quite by accident. As I was cleaning out the truck on Friday, I found this in the glove compartment – it is Deanna’s first wedding in August of ’91. Of course, as Ann pointed out, Keith has his eyes closed! I expected to see Ann in this picture and I can see why Gigi was in it, but what I didn’t expect to see was Ann’s good friend Stacy! Then we have Matt’s first birthday party in Columbus with Mom & Gigi and Mom & Dad B in March of ’97 and then his 2nd birthday in our first home in Greensburg in March of ’98 with Mom O and Brayton; and finally Abby’s first Christmas in ’99 with Grandpaw in our Main St home living room and then Christmas Eve at Mom & Sandy’s house with Dee, Gigi and Gma.

Waybac.1991.06.tcgc1 Waybac.1991.06.tcgc2 Waybac.1991.08.24.cadw1 Waybac.1991.08.24.cadw2 Waybac.1991.08.24.cadw3 Waybac.1997.03.21.mfbdp1  Waybac.1997.03.21.mfbdp2 Waybac.1997.03.21.mfbdp3 Waybac.1997.03.21.mfbdp4 Waybac.1998.03.20.msbdp1 Waybac.1998.03.20.msbdp2 Waybac.1998.03.20.msbdp3 Waybac.1998.03.20.msbdp4 Waybac.1999.12.23.madvtg1 Waybac.1999.12.23.madvtg2 Waybac.1999.12.23.madvtg3 Waybac.1999.12.24.ceaghig1 Waybac.1999.12.24.ceaghig2

We wrap up in May of 2000 at the Sand Pebble during week 19 in Treasure Island, FL – there’s Abby with Charlie & Evalyn during the annual welcome back party at the tiki hut and then a group picture after we all had the punch! Later, we had Bu down at the beach for her first time in the Gulf with Daddy.

Waybac.2000.05.07.sptif1 Waybac.2000.05.07.sptif2 Waybac.2000.05.07.sptif3 Waybac.2000.05.07.sptif4 Waybac.2000.05.07.sptif5 Waybac.2000.05.07.sptif6 Waybac.2000.05.11.sptif1

That wraps ups this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks as always for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you next time. Until then, have a good one.
Later, Scheu

2 comments to Only the Beginnings of what I want to Feel Forever

  • Uncle Robby

    Hey bro everyone looks great. the kids are getting so big. I sense a very good year in sports for them and sharon and I wish them the best of luck both in school and in sports. Well keeping it short love you guys

  • Mom

    The pics and video uploaded much better for me Tom!! Thanks for this as I could watch the videos without any problems. Go Abby, Matt and Luke this year in your sports. All looked very good!! The pics of the sky as the clouds came rolling in was very cool. The clips at the State Fair still make me tear up – those poor people who had to go thru this….I pray for all of them and yes agree with you Tom…thank God Katie and Stacey’s daughter are safe and home with their families. Many God be with the families of the ones who lost their lives. What wonderful support for other people was shown that night. Well…dad and I are doing fine and he had his MRI on his knee on Monday so we will see next Monday what is going on there. Love to all and keep up the great work!! XXXOOO’s

Leave a Reply