Let them have their Little Toys…(Hot Wheels) Cars and Mortgaged Joys

Welcome back to the Scheu Family Blog. This week really flew by as we had a lot of excitement and kept very busy. It was hot and humid at the start of the week but we received a ton of rain that brought not only some low-level flooding but also much cooler temps. Both Ann & I took a day off to spend with Lukey and yet still managed to have long weeks at work somehow… We continued to celebrate Luke’s 12th birthday and he finally got to play baseball. Abby had her first Pirateers performance of the season. And Matt worked a bunch of hours and laid low this week.
Matt & I returned to work on a hot & humid Monday. Annie took day off to be with kids. She took the two little ones to Rascal’s Fun Zone, up in Whiteland. She let the kids bring a friend so Luke took Grayson & Abby brought Noah. Poor Grayson was too short to safely ride the go-karts so he and Luke rode the two-seater karts. As Ann took the crew out for lunch at Ruby Tuesday’s, the Pacifica began overheating and stranded them in Greenwood. I tried to help them troubleshoot over the phone but it was to no avail. We had to have it towed to Acra’s and I left work early to go get them and bring them all home in the miserably hot minivan (the temps soared in to the 90s with heavy humidity that afternoon, of course). Noah ended up missing football practice, but Ann called Scott and got things smoothed out for him. We did manage to get Luke to baseball practice on time. While he was at ball practice at Kohler, I came home and sweated my ass off on the treadmill. I picked up Luke & Drew in the pickup and ran out to the Messers. They really enjoy riding in the back, as have all the kids through the years. What is it about riding in the back of an old, full-sized pickup? On the way home, we stopped by Gma & Gigi’s where Luke received more birthday presents – this time from Aunt Dee & Uncle Jamie. I warmed up a big plate of my Fathers Day lasagna for dinner and Matt went out with his buddies until late.

lcm15.42 lbd15.0 lbd15.1 lbd15.2 lbd15.3 lbd15.4 lbd15.5 lbd15.6 lbd15.7 lbd15.8 lbd15.9 lbd15.10 lbd15.11 lbd15.12 lbd15.13 lbd15.14 lbd15.15 lbd15.16 lbd15.17 lbd15.18 lbd15.19 lbd15.20 lbd15.21 lbd15.22 lbd15.23 lbd15.24 lbd15.25 lbd15.26 lbd15.27 lbd15.28 lbd15.29 lbd15.30 lbd15.31 lbd15.32 lbd15.33 lbd15.34 lbd15.35 lbd15.36 lbd15.37 lbd15.38 lbd15.39 lbd15.40 lbd15.41 lbd15.42 lbd15.43 lbd15.44 lbd15.45

Ann and I drove to work in the truck (no word on the Pacifica yet) on Tuesday. It stormed quite a bit that day. Even though the air stopped working in the ‘90s, at least it has 2/60 air! LOL! Matt had a long, hard day at work, setting up nearly a dozen tents around the state. He got home really late that night. Abby had Pirateers practice. I trimmed Mom & Sandy’s house that night. Luke & Oakley played RC trucks in the street. And actor Dick Van Patton passed away at age 86.
Luke celebrated his 12th birthday on Wednesday. Abby worked for Sandy & WTRE as the Disco Duck again – this time at the DCMH Health Fair. Later she had Pirateers practice. Matthew had another long, hot day at work. I took the day off to be with our birthday boy. We went to the Indy Children’s Museum to visit their new Hot Wheels exhibit. Next we did some Hot Wheels hunting at the gift shop! We left Indy and headed down to Columbus to pickup Luke’s baseball gear from Ann, who had the van. Mom O let us drive the “Hot Rod” Lincoln (thank you again!!). After we grabbed lunch there at BK (I know, but it was what he wanted – he remembers coming here a few times when he was little), we drove back to Greensburg to catch the new Jurassic Park movie at Wolf Theaters. Next we went to North Park for baseball practice. I dropped him off and came home to mow the front yard. We dropped Drew off at the ball diamonds and brought Luke home for his requested birthday meal. This year, he chose Buffalo wings and toquitos (yep, but that’s what wanted…ahh the simple pleasures!) for his dinner. He opened his cards and a few other gifts before we sang the birthday song and ate a triple-chocolate pie – YUM!! Abby & Noah went out – but they’re not dating…yet. And with all the recent storms, there was more flooding in the area.

lcm15.1 lcm15.2 lcm15.3 lcm15.4 lcm15.5 lcm15.6 lcm15.7 lcm15.8 lcm15.9 lcm15.10 lcm15.11 lcm15.12 lcm15.13 lcm15.14 lcm15.15 lcm15.16 lcm15.17 lcm15.18 lcm15.19 lcm15.20 lcm15.21 lcm15.22 lcm15.23 lcm15.24 lcm15.25 lcm15.26 lcm15.27 lcm15.28 lcm15.29 lcm15.30 lcm15.31 lcm15.32 lcm15.33 lcm15.34 lcm15.35 lcm15.36 lcm15.37 lcm15.38 lcm13.39 lcm15.40 lcm15.41 lcm15.42 lcm14.43 lcm15.44 lcm15.45 lcm15.46 lcm15.47 lcm15.48 lcm15.49 lcm15.50 lcm15.51 lcm15.52 lcm15.53 lcm15.54 lcm15.55 lcm15.56 lcm15.57

Everyone was back to work on Thursday. It stormed hard all morning. Abby had Pirateers practice. Luke & I mowed the back yard. Ann picked up the Pacifica. Acra’s took good care of us and did the right thing, towing and servicing for no-charge. Luke turned his ankle a little today and limped around all night. He eventually iced it and was all better by bedtime. Megan came over to help Abby clean her room and she finally admitted to dating Noah.
It was a short night of sleep for Ann & I, having to do even more parenting – what the hell… It was a long day for a Friday. It rained quite a bit which eventually caused it to cool down the later it got. My team and I unloaded a semi truck full of furniture, which will be nice once we get it all assembled and installed in the facility. We were so frustrated with the truck driver though. He did nothing but sit in the cab of his truck. He didn’t offer to help nor did he even have a pallet jack to bring the pallets to the back of the 53’ trailer. So we climbed up in to the truck and busted our butts by tearing down each pallet, carrying the goods to the edge of the trailer and then moving everything into the garage in the pouring rain. It was great teamwork and I was so thankful to have the folks’ help that did, in lieu of the lack of preparation by the shipping company and truck driver. We were all soaked and exhausted and sore so we left all left early for the weekend. Abby & the Pirateers had the first performance with their newly-configured team that night at the Junior High school during the Miss Decatur County pageant. Abby had Kama over to help her clean her room that night and ended up staying the night. Matt got home late from work and said that he would be working OT this weekend as well. Ann ordered Papa John’s pizzas for dinner that night.  And it stormed hard overnight, which meant I slept like a baby but it also meant there was more low-level flooding in the area. We have several new social media pictures to share this week plus Luke’s Fathers Day card he made for me last week: Abby looking cute; Abby’s sweet Fathers Day post; Nate, Steph and the girls made the trip south to visit Dad & Lynn; Katie & Jake took in a concert in Indy; Barney’s Fathers Day post from his oldest; Aunt June & Lynz travelled overseas to visit Olga; Keith & Megan at a theme park; Wendy, Steve and family; Aunt Sally & Scotty on the beach; Uncle Timmy in Missy’s husband’s ‘Vette; the Kosior family; a classic of our buddy Allen; some fun ones from Rush, The Daily Show, BOC, Zep and Saturday Morning kid shows from the my youth in the ‘70s; Dick Van Patten’s death; Molly; an oldie from Paul & Dayla’s wedding and Matt with his roommate Colten.

apmdc15.1 apmdc15.2 apmdc15.3 apmdc15.4 apmdc15.5 apmcd15.6 apmdc15.7 apmcd15.8 lap15.06.11 smp15.06.91 smp15.06.92 smp15.06.93 smp15.06.94 smp15.06.95 smp15.06.96 smp15.06.97 smp15.06.98 smp15.06.99 smp15.06.100 smp15.06.101 smp15.06.102 smp15.06.103 smp15.06.104 smp15.06.105 smp15.06.106 smp15.06.107 smp15.06.108 smp15.06.109 smp15.06.110 smp15.06.111 smp15.06.112 smp15.06.113 smp15.06.114 smp15.06.115 smp15.06.116 smp15.06.117 smp15.06.118 smp15.06.119 smp15.06.120 smp15.06.121 smp15.06.122 smp15.06.123 smp15.06.124 smp15.06.125 smp15.06.126 smp15.06.127 smp15.06.128 smp15.06.129

We were up early on Saturday only to learn that that low-level flooding and pop-up showers caused Luke’s baseball tournament to be postponed a couple times. Originally Luke and the 11U Titans were scheduled to play at 8 am. Then they pushed it back to noon and then once more to 2 pm. That allowed us to get our weekly household chores done. We eventually made our way up to our least favorite tourney destination, Mooresville. Not only do you have the Indy traffic but you also have a gate fee and then on top of that you can’t bring in your own food and drink. What a racket! If we never play there again it will be too soon. On top of that, the fields are not very nice and the accommodations for spectators even worse. It was a much cooler day and Luke even joked that he might have to wear long sleeves. It was actually in the 50s when we woke up. It eventually got up to the 70s but that was about it. The Titans faced the Zionsville team in the first match-up. Luke was the starting pitcher. Unfortunately his warm-up was not what should’ve been since the pitching coach (Bryan) wasn’t able to attend. Although he didn’t give up any hits, he only lasted 2/3 of an inning, giving up a pair of walks and plunking three batters before being pulled. We all swore the other team was leaning in to the pitches but the umpire wouldn’t do anything to stop it. He also played centerfield and first base. He went 0-2 with a strikeout and a groundout and we lost 1-6. After a 2-hour layover where we went out for lunch with Drew, Angie and a few other teammates at Steak & Shake, we faced the Indy Smoke. Luke played first base, left field and centerfield. He made a couple nice plays at 1st base. He went 0-2 at the plate with a groundout, a flyout, a walk, a stolen base and scored a run. Drew threw a complete game and looked really good (probably because his pitching coach wasn’t present!!). We won for only the 2nd time this year, 8-2! The weather was perfect Meanwhile, Matt worked a half day. Abby & Kama cleaned-up Bu’s room and then went to a graduation party of one of their Pirateers teammates.
We got to sleep in on Sunday morning and man was it nice. We all took full advantage of it. After Ann made a big sit-down lunch, we all headed our separate ways. Abby did her household chores and relaxed in her room. Matt trimmed the bushes out front until the trimmer died. It was old and the motor finally gave way. I asked him why he didn’t just manually finish the job and he just laughed. Meanwhile Ann & I took Luke back up to Mooresville for the U11 Titan’s baseball tourney again. This time the team faced the Indy Smoke. Luke played 1st base exclusively and made 4 outstanding plays. There were two or three others that were bang-bang plays at 1st that could’ve honestly gone either way and probably helped to decide the game. Unfortunately we only got 1 out of the 3 plays called our way. The team’s defense and pitching was again much improved – not perfect (they’re 11 after all), but good enough to win. It was our hitting that let us down again today and we lost 1-7. Luke batted 5th and went 1-2 with a single and groundout. He stole a base and scored our only run. We’ll now have the weekend of the 4th off and we’ll get back at it the following week. We came home and relaxed in the A/C. We had the house open last night as the temps dipped down in to the 60s, but it got pretty warm today. Ann made popcorn and we watched the NASCAR road course race in Sonoma where Jeff had a tough time at his home track, finishing just inside the top 20. Abby went out on another date with Noah, Luke fell asleep early and Matt had Devin over. It was a relaxing end to an exciting week.

lbzis15.1 lbzis15.2 lbzis15.3 lbzis15.4 lbzis15.5 lbzis15.6 lbzis15.7 lbzis15.8 lbzis15.9 lbzis15.10 lbzis15.11 lbzis15.12 lbzis15.14 lbzis15.15 lbzis15.16 lbzis15.17 lbzis15.18 lbzis15.19 lbzis15.20 lbzis15.21 lbzis15.22 lbzis15.23 lbzis15.24 lbzis15.25 lbzis15.26 lbzis15.27 lbzis15.28 lbzis15.29 lbzis15.30 lbzis15.31 lbzis15.32 lbzis15.33 lbzis15.34 lbzis15.35 lbzis15.36 lbzis15.37 lbzis15.38 lbzis15.39 lbzis15.40 lbzis15.41 lbzis15.42 lbzis15.43 lbzis15.44 lbzis15.45 lbzis15.46 lbzis15.48 lbzis15.49 lbzis15.50 lbzis15.51 lbzis15.52 lbzis15.53 lbzis15.54 lbzis15.55 lbzis15.56 lbzis15.57 lbzis15.58 lbzis15.59 lbzis15.60 lbzis15.61 lbzis15.62 lbzis15.63 lbzis15.64 lbzis15.65 lbzis15.66 lbzis15.67 lbzis15.68 lbzis15.69 lbzis15.70 lbzis15.71 lbzis15.72 lbzis15.73 lbzis15.74 lbzis15.75 lbzis15.76 lbzis15.77 lbzis15.78 lbzis15.79 lbzis15.80 lbzis15.81 lbzis15.82 lbzis15.83 lbzis15.84 lbzis15.85 lbzis15.86 lbzis15.87 lbzis15.88 lbzis15.89 lbzis15.90 lbzis15.91 lbzis15.92 lbzis15.93 lbzis15.94 lbzis15.95 lbzis15.96 lbzis15.97 lbzis15.98 lbzis15.99 lbzis15.100 lbzis15.101 lbzis15.102 lbzis15.103 lbzis15.104 lbzis15.105 lbzis15.106 lbzis15.107 lbzis15.108 lbzis15.109 lbzis15.110 lbzis15.111 lbzis15.112 lbzis15.113 lbzis15.114 lbzis15.115 lbzis15.116 lbzis15.117 lbzis15.118 lbzis15.119 lbzis15.120

Next up is our Waybac section which again features Matt’s early years. We start off in April of 1996 in our Columbus home with Mom & Dad B as well as Dad & Barb Scheu and one of the earliest photos of the three of us all together; then October 1996 – Matt exploring the floor in our townhouse’s living room floor and then eating at Memaw’s house; next we go to Easter in April 1997 at Grandmaw & Gigi’s house in Greensburg; then later that year at Christmastime at Maryann & Sandy’s house in Ryle in December ’97; then up to Indy for Sesame St Live at the Murat Theater with Grandmaw & Gigi and Ann & I in April 1998; and then a couple parties in about October of ’98 – first at my at BHC and then at the Drew’s home in Brown Co.

Waybac.1996.04.mgp1 Waybac.1996.04.mgp2 Waybac.1996.04.mgp3 Waybac.1996.04.mgp4 Waybac.1996.10.mh1 Waybac.1996.10.mh2 Waybac.1996.10.mh3 Waybac.1996.10.mh4 Waybac.1997.04.me1 Waybac.1997.04.me2 Waybac.1997.04.me3 Waybac.1997.04.me4 Waybac.1997.04.me5 Waybac.1997.12.mc1 Waybac.1997.12.mc2 Waybac.1997.12.mc3 Waybac.1997.12.mc4 Waybac.1998.04.mss1 Waybac.1998.04.mss2 Waybac.1998.04.mss3 Waybac.1998.04.mss4 Waybac.1998.04.mss5 Waybac.1998.10.mbhc1 Waybac.1998.10.mbhc2 Waybac.1998.10.mbhc3 Waybac.1998.10.mbhc4

I finally remembered to write down a Shit that Luke Says quote this week. Luke was eating lunch on Sunday and was excited to see that there was bacon in the lima beans. Per his request, Ann served it to him with his lunch and he put the rubbery strip in his mouth, only to spit it right back out. He had an awful look on his face and exclaimed, “Ooh, it feels like a dry-fit shirt!” :0)

Next up is our video section which features two new family movies and a few from around the internet this week.

Well that does it for this week’s episode of the Scheu Family Blog. Thanks for keeping up with us this time out and we’ll catch up with you again next time. Until then, have a good one. We miss ya, Mom.
Later, Scheu

Leave a Reply